- 1 lb fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro
- 3 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded, if desired, and coarsely chopped
- 3 firm-ripe California avocados
- 40 medium shrimp (about 1 ½ lb), de-veined and shelled, leaving tails intact
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
Special equipment: 8 (12 inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water 1 hour
Broil tomatillos, onion, and garlic on a rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once, until softened and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Peel garlic and puree with tomatillos, onion, cilantro, and jalapenos in a food processor until almost smooth. Transfer salsa to a bowl.
Halve and pit avocados and scoop flesh into tomatillo mixture. Mash avocados into mixture with a fork, leaving texture coarse.
Prepare grill for cooking.
Thread 5 shrimp onto each skewer, then brush with oil and season. Grill until just cooked through, about 1 minute on each side.
Serve shrimp with salsa.