- 2 whole chicken legs (1 lb), cut into thighs and drumsticks
- 3/4 lb small boiling potatoes, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 bunch arugula (2 cups), coarse stems discarded
- 1/4 cup dry wine (optional) or substitute 1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pat chicken dry. Toss chicken, potatoes, bell pepper, and onion with oil and thyme in a large flameproof roasting pan until coated and arrange in 1 layer, chicken skin side up. Roast 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and golden.
Put arugula in a large bowl and add chicken and vegetables, transferring with tongs. Add wine (or water) to pan to deglaze over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping brown bits, 1 minute. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables and toss.